Tossing down a few billion bacteria a day for your health might seem figuratively hard to swallow. There is a growing body of scientific evidence suggests that you can treat and prevent some illnesses with supplements containing certain kinds of health – promoting bacteria, called Probiotics (meaning pro-life)
An estimated 100 trillion microorganisms inhabit every normal, healthy bowel, where they keep pathogens (harmful microorganisms) in check, aid digestion and nutrient absorption, and contribute to immune function. If these gut-dwelling bacteria become depleted because of disease, stress, poor diet, or medications, like antibiotics health problems will result.
Probiotic therapy has been best studied for the treatment of diarrhea. It may also help people with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and other gastrointestinal problems. Probiotics that help restore the balance of microflora in the vagina may be useful in treating such common female urogenital problems as bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection, and urinary tract infection.
People considering probiotics should keep these points in mind:
- The recommended doses range from 1 billion to 10 billion colony-forming units (CFU) the amount contained is a capsule or two several days per week.
- A daily supplement for one to two weeks may improve conditions such as infections or antibiotic-related diarrhea.
- The microorganisms in probiotic supplements need to be alive when you take them (or when they are freeze-dried for capsules). They my die on exposure to heat, moisture, or air. Some require refrigeration.
- The best way to get probiotics in to your body is to make your own fermented foods. Fermented vegetables outweigh any probiotics that are produced in a capsule form by a lab. It is easy to make your own fermented vegetables or coconut kefir ( you can go to my website for recipes). The fermented foods that are made commercially have been pasteurized. The pasteurization will kill most of the beneficial probiotics and it will destroy many of the vitamins. Therefore, there will not be enough therapeutic probiotics to make a big healthy change in your body.
- You should have half a cup of fermented food at each meal. This would be enough to make changes in your body to keep you healthy.
- If you are unable to make your own fermented foods for good quality probiotic then your second choice would be commercially prepared probiotics. In some cases where ht person’s health is very poor both homemade and commercially make probiotics would be in order.
For more information on how to get healthy and stay healthy, go to ww.youralternativedoctor.com. Dr Foley is an Advance Nutritionist/ Chiropractic physician that specializes in nutritional rehabilitation of chronic and hard to manage health conditions. He has practiced over 24 years, lecturing weekly on how to get rid of belly fat, Hypothyroid, Hashimoto’s Autoimmune, Gluten Sensitivity and many other health topics. You can listen to Dr. Foley every Sunday at 2:00 PM central time on his radio show “The Natural Health Care Show” on 99.7 FM Nashville, TN or on the Internet “live” at www. 997wtn.com. Past show are available on his website. Dr Foley takes a natural approach that is safe and effective. All health care programs are tailor made for the individual person. You can contact Dr. Foley at 5602 Nolensville Pike Nashville, TN 37211 Office Phone: (615) 333-0021 or email@example.com or www.Facebook.com/Healthandwellnesscenterdrfoley or Twitter @drfoleybrian